Wednesday, December 17, 2008

AHHHH I DON'T WANT TO GO HOME! DON'T MAKE ME!

A couple weeks ago, I would have begged you to move up my departure by at least a week.  But now that it comes down to it, I am incredibly emotional about leaving.  While I know it would not be practical for me to stay for a whole year, that's all that I really want right now.  My two best friends here, Elizabeth and Marianne, are staying for the whole year, and leaving them knowing they still have another 4 months here makes me green with envy.  At the same time, there are so many things I am looking forward to about going home and back to Santa Clara next semester... But it's just so sad to think that this chapter of my life is over.  Well, bittersweet I suppose, but I am the type of person who has a hard time letting things go so.... that is not helping the situation.

As much as I would love to say, yeah, I will go abroad at another point to work or volunteer, the odds of that are slim and it still wouldn't be the same.  Nevertheless, it is a nice thing to keep in the back of my mind during this time.  I feel like I really started to blossom here only recently.  Bummer.

I was going to make a list of things I will miss about Denmark, but instead maybe I should try to be a little more positive and think about what to look forward to when I get back:
-my family and friends, of course!
-Holidays with my whole giant family... I wouldn't miss it for the world
-Chipotle/taco bell/good Cali mexican food (yeah, make fun of me for the taco bell but you would miss it too if you are surrounded by pickled herring and rye bread for 4 months)
-heat. sunshine. not wearing a jacket, tights under my pants, gloves, a hat, a scarf, snow boots...
-moving into my new house!!!!
-seeing everyone back at school
-meeting the new dg babies (I am a grand-big now... so old!)
-so many more types of food I could list here... but specifically my momma's cooking :) which i will only have for a few weeks, but still...
-not worrying if people are making fun of me in a language I don't understand
-21st birthday in 2 weeks!
that's just a short list.  But it's already making me feel better.  Be home soon!!!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

We will miss you so much. :( It just won't be the same without the third Musketeer, but you will always be there in our thoughts and hearts.

Enjoy Santa Clara... carpe diem! You are sure to have an amazing semester, regardless of where you are.

Lots of love!
Elizabeth