Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I can't tell you how many times I have been asked, mostly by confused Danes, "so uhhh, why did you come to Denmark?"

I really don't know what to tell them.  The abroad options which I seriously considered spanned a good 5 continents, and my reasoning for each place was completely different.

My reason for choosing Denmark at the time was: I don't know anyone going, and I want to have an experience all my own (turns out John and Will are here from SCU, but they hardly distract me from having my own experience, but rather provide comfortable and familiar faces :). )  I get credit for all of my classes here as well, which is great for a double-major that is slightly behind on classes.
Other reasons?  It's somewhere different, and I must admit, I thought everyone in Denmark was going to be a hippie or something.  Which is not the case at all, but they still lead a pretty relaxed lifestyle, and have really got their priorities straight.  While I certainly do not think that such a welfare system would EVER fly in the US, I think we could learn a few things from the Danes.  For starters, Danes value family and friends above all else.  Most only work a good 6 hours a day, which I know because I see them at 3 pm "rush hour" losening their ties and having a beer on the train with their friends before they go home to spend some quality times with their families.  They don't really get why Americans work so hard, which I don't really get either, except for money I guess.  And personal satisfaction.  But personal satisfaction in Denmark doesn't exactly consist of how much you get done in a day's work.  It's about cultivating personal relationships and knowing how to spend their free time in an enjoyable manner.

Yup, us Americans could sure learn a few things from the Danes.

Except in my opinion they are kinda crazy for living in a place with 5 hours of sunlight and ridiculously cold weather.  But that's just me.

1 comment:

kacywilliams said...

The world would be a much better place if everyone could experience a trip like that of yours. I'm happy for you to have had the opportunity, but I'm also happy to have you coming home. It simply wouldn't be Christmas without you.